In My Craft or Sullen Heart

Readers familiar with Dylan Thomas will recognise the play on words in the title of this blogpost. Thomas first published his poem ‘In My Craft or Sullen Art’ in 1946, which deals with the poet’s art in the purest form. Rather than earning money, poetry is a thing of love dealing with the love and philosophy of life. It is a poem I have thought about lots over the years, and particularly when in the classroom.

Teaching at its best is an art form, a mastery, a craft. The expertise involved in orchestrating the perfect lesson and living it in action is something quite magical. Not all teachers achieve this or ever experience it. But I would argue that for those who do, it’s because they have truly mastered their craft. They probably have a certain mentality or mindset too, much like Thomas expresses in his poem. They focus on the beauty and charm of teaching and learning and not on personal ambitions or monetary gain.

Recent school holidays have allowed me to spend quality time with my adult children, both in Laugharne (where Dylan Thomas once lived) and in France (I started my teaching career as a French teacher). During these holidays our discussions have centred around their plans for the future, and I have helped them with their Uni essays, dissertations, CVs, and job applications – provoking me to reflect on my own life choices.

From attending Swansea University (based in Dylan Thomas’s hometown), to studying a joint honours degree in English and French and eventually pursuing a career in education, I realised that I have always made decisions from the heart. I never set out to study in Wales or to study for a particular profession and I certainly never wanted to be a teacher. What I have chosen to do at each stage of life’s journey is to stay true to myself and pursue my passions at the time.

In Thomas’s poem, there is emphasis on the poet being a self-righteous person who does not write for fulfilling any ambition or earning money. The poem deals with the more subtle and deep nature of poetry which deals with or rather dwells in the depth of human nature and philosophy rather than a means of livelihood or a way to show off.

For me, listening to my heart to find my art has been a fulfilling journey to date. A career in education, that started in Wales and has taken me to France and beyond, has been about so much more than any aspiration or simply paying the bills. Teaching is who I am and where I belong, when I’m in my craft or sullen heart.

In My Craft or Sullen Art